Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Getting new jobs

Since my last post focused on quitting our jobs, I thought I would write one about getting new jobs in NOLA. When I picture our life there, I mostly see myself decorating our apartment, hanging out with awesome new people, doing fun things in the city and eating my weight in shrimp. For one reason or another I, ahem…. NEVER envision myself working. Hmm. That’s not gonna work. Pun intended.
Andrew plans to try to get a job on campus when we get there. I think they usually work around class schedules and afford some study time on the job. Me on the other hand, I’m just downright mixed up about what to do. I have a Master’s of Social Work degree and am even licensed (LMSW) in the state of Georgia. However…
I don’t really want to do social work. There, I said it.
I don’t mean I never ever want to do social work, just not right away. New Orleans is a big new city. I’m positive there are many opportunities for social work. But to be honest, I have had some frightening experiences in my field and I am just not up for potentially frightening experiences in a completely unknown place. The interstate will be terrifying enough.
So here is what I am currently thinking of doing:
1.       Becoming a nanny, again. I was a nanny for an amazing family in Athens and absolutely adored it. I think it fits well with my future mommy aspirations.
2.       Get a job on campus. It’s not my favorite choice but it is on the list because it is a very likely possibility and I need to accept it. I just don’t want to get trapped in a bubble and never get off campus. If this is how it turns out we will just have to be proactive… hold me accountable!
3.       There is a weird part of me that just really wants to get a job in retail. I know I should be careful what I wish for. But seriously, I could spend my days (and nights, weekends, holidays) in Anthropologie. Or Sephora, LOFT, Banana, or even Saks… a girl can dream.
Sidebar: there is no Nordstrom in all of Louisiana… what tha what?
It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Things don’t typically go according to plan so there is a high likelihood that the mere act of creating this list will eradicate it altogether. No big deal!
On a side note, we are trying collect our pennies in such a way that we are able to survive the month of August without me having a job. This will buy me some time to find one, and give us a chance to really settle in. If you are in the business of praying for us, this would be a great area to lift up a word. Thank you!
I apologize for the tedium (thanks Microsoft Word synonyms) of this post. Maybe something in our lives will merit pictures soon!
I'll leave you with this picture I pinned on Pinterest a few days ago. I just think it is adorable!
Universal Language - Smile

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! We have to get new jobs???? Hehe, I'm with you. The only thing I think about is hanging out, meeting new people and eating a lot of seafood. Can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...